Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thank you NZ

Hello and happy new year!!
I've been pretty blog-absent.. & not online much, but would like to do a little catch up before taking off to Australia - which is in 2 days!

Now we've just (finally & in the knick of time) finished with all things involved in prepping and selling 2 campervans, and I'm feeling so relieved and happy, as well as ready to move along!
So nice to see both vans continuing on with good folks, too.
Have transitioned (mostly) back to our backpacks & checked into a hostel!

Mixed emotions around celebrating holidays afar.. missing many of you so much, but finding & appreciating all the beauty where we are. Each holiday was like a mini festival in a way, because it would be Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years/Bri's bday here, but not yet where everyone we know and love is.. so there were 2 days to celebrate each. But they were lovely - we've revisited some of our favorite places in NZ, reconnected with the sweetest people we've met, soaked in natural hot springs until our hands & feet were wrinkly, played frisbee & had a picnic on a big round hill with a 360 degree spectacular view, got to see a wallaby on Christmas Eve - about 1/4 the size of what I imagine to be a normal kangaroo.. amazing.. and hedgehogs! my new favorite - mainly we'd just see them on the road (they ball up & freeze out of fright, so we'd often see -& dodge- little furballs) but the other night we went for a walk and first came across one that was running around, and let us hang out with him up close.. then later.. in the shadows of trees one little hedgehog must've gotten scared, froze in a ball, & I didn't see it, until I accidentally kicked it!! I felt badly for kicking the poor thing, but it was so cool to see its little balled-up version! - really adorable.

So, in preparations for Australia, the camper van rental companies there have this great offer where you can sign up to relocate vehicles for them, and do so for $1 a day - I've been hounding their website over the past couple days, and am seriously considering taking on an RV from Brisbane to Sydney! It's a 12 hour drive, and they'll give you 4 days to do it..
Just have to work out the details.

Oh, just added more PHOTOS!!! (Bri's still to come)

No comments: