Sunday, September 28, 2008

Auckland!!

Flying over the northern islands and rolling hills of NZ, I think I'm already in love. Plus, the internet here's up to speed, so I'm finally loading photos while Bri's phoning folks about camper vans. yay! It's cold and dry here, compared to what I'm used to, so my body and sinuses are trying to slowly adjust, otherwise loving it! Pretty city, reminds us of dear old SanFran a bit. And oh my, it seems so immaculate & sparkly coming from Fiji! They've got some litterbugs over there.. a lot of them.


So since we last spoke, we decided against the long expensive boat ride - were so weary of transit from having circumnavigated the island, (and it would've been 13 hours each way, and would've spent close to $700 in 3 days) we just wanted to sit in one glorious spot for awhile.. which we did at this funny/beautiful place called The Beach House. The owner rented it out a few years back to a British TV show called Love Island, with B list celebrities HA! (now I want to watch it, although it must be dreadful) Evidently for the deal they decked the place out, so now it's a pretty swanky little resort style spot, but still with dorm accommodations for a decent deal. On a beautiful beach, and such a lovely group of travelers converged for a few magical days while we were there. Brian did have a sick day, poor dear, with fever and stomach cramps, but it passed fairly quickly and the botanist elder from the neighboring village made him a tonic from some plants that helped! We also went on a jungle trek with same botanist elder, who taught us about many uses and secrets about the plants, I learned about weaving palm fronds and making coconut jewelry, and just swam in the ocean & played lots of volleyball (which the bruises on my arms will show). It was fun!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi guys! I can't believe you are in NZ! I hope you are having fun! Is that Sugar cane on Fiji too?!

Unknown said...

By the way, Shorty is Lily!

amy said...

hi lily love! yes, there is SO much sugarcane in fiji, it's crazy... along with mostly all the same plants as hawai'i! who would've guessed.. xo!